Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Memories...Old Traditions


In just a little less than two weeks, I'll finally get to cross off one of the items on my bucket list. On July 4th, I (along with sixty thousand other atlantans) will participate in the Peachtree Road Race- a 10k held annually on Independence Day in Atlanta, Georgia. The Peachtree Road Race is an Atlanta tradition and one that I'm excited to be a part of for the first time.

I must admit that when I signed up to run the Peachtree three months ago, we had just thawed from an unusual snowstorm that us southerners came to refer to as snowpocalypse. At the time, July seemed to be ages away. When I completed the online registration form it was without hesitation, and until last week, race day was still something of the future. All of that changed when I received a package in the mail that included my race number along with some additional race day information. I would like to say that I immediately dropped everything that I was doing to run a few laps around my neighborhood. Instead, I shoved the package and it's contents it into a drawer, as if by doing so I could buy some more time. You see, while even with the best intentions, I have found that it is not always so easy to wake early in the morning to go for a run. Actually, there is nothing easy about it at all. When you get right down to it, I love to sleep.... I am a huge fan of it, and I fully support it's cause. That's not to say that I haven't practiced for the race- I just haven't practiced as much as I would've liked.

Nevertheless, race day is fast approaching and I am not one to give up. Barring a heart attack (I'm not kidding- race participants must conquer a hill known as "cardiac hill"), I will complete the race and wear my t-shirt proudly. What I look forward to the most is that I will not be alone. Rachel, my sister, has enlisted to run the race with me. Whatever the outcome of the race, it's great to know that we will be creating new memories and replacing old family traditions.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, a 10K in "Hotlanta" in July. I live in another "Famously Hot" city and am already starting to wish it was fall. Best of luck to you and your sister!

Peter Combs said...

Thanks Becca! Looking forward to it. Should be an interesting day, however it turns out. Will be finishing the day at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta with music, family and fireworks.

Post a Comment