Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

A Brilliant Solution


Today I read an article that suggests a solution to childhood obesity by removing children from their home and placing them in foster care. I can't begin to say how much this article infuriates me. I realize that the study offers a plan that would promote other avenues to be explored prior to removing the child, but in my opinion this is still unacceptable.

When I was 14, I was taken from my home and placed in foster care- obviously for reasons other than obesity, although I was overweight. During my time in foster care I maintained a stable diet and was significantly more active than while I was at home. Over the course of nine months I managed to lose approximately 80 pounds. At the end of the nine months I was allowed to return home and never returned to state's custody again.

I am now 27, married, and consider myself to be a logical and well adjusted adult. Was I overweight when I entered foster care? Absolutely. Did I manage to lose the extra weight during my time in custody? You betcha'. But the lasting effects the nine months in foster care had on me has been more negative than positive. Sure, I met some good people along the way, but I also encountered a lot of bad people as well. In the years that followed my time in foster care, I frequently had nightmares that people would rip into my home to drag me away- and don't get me started on the labels people place on you. I was written off as a delinquent when I never did anything to be a ward of the state to begin with.

As a result of my experience, I have spent several years trying to come to terms with many things. It all came to a head two years ago when I became suicidal. Thankfully, I made it through that dark time in my life, but the statistics indicate that many do not.

My point is that this type of action would do more harm to otherwise "normal" children than it would do any good. To suggest that obese minors should be taken from their homes is a ridiculous notion- not a solution.

4 comments:

the5parkers said...

Wow, that really is a ridiculous idea! I'm glad you wrote this. I'm also very glad that you made it through your suicidal time!

Irene said...

Hi, Peter. I'm glad you decided to come up with a blog. You could relate to a lot of important issues and sharing your experiences can bring enlightenment to the world. I admire your strength in being able to make it through tough times of your life.

God bless. :-)

Peter Combs said...

Thank you both for the encouragement. I feel as if I walk a fine line of dwelling on the past and trying to make a difference for the future. Not sure which side is winning, but I sure am trying.. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

I like the topic which has been discuss by you,i want to say thanks to you for sharing with me such a nice info.I am also quite interested to see your upcoming post for home care management system so please keep writing.

Post a Comment